Java Support?

Paul dazzle750 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 10:17:49 PST 2002

I didn't compile Java from source!

Download the "Linux GNUZIP Tar shell script"
chmod +x j2sdk-x_x_x-linux-i386.bin  (where x_x_x is the version number)
su
./j2sdk-x_x_x_-linux-i386.bin

This should now unpack itself to jdkx.x.x in which ever directory you
downloaded it to. You can then move the folder to wherever you want.

I've got mine in /usr/share/java/jdk - I renamed the jdk1.3.1 folder to jdk.

The entries you need in your .bash_profile are:
JAVA_HOME=/usr/share/java/jdk/jre
CLASSPATH=/usr/share/java/bin:/usr/share/java/jdk/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/share/java
/xalan/bin/xalan.jar:/usr/share/java/xerces/xerces.jar:/usr/share/java/xerces/xe
rcesSamples.jar:/usr/share/java/fop/fop.jar

Then add to your export list:
JAVA_HOME CLASSPATH

JAVA_HOME is the file path to where ever you have the jdk folder and
points to the runtime folder, jre, within that

CLASSPATH is any folder which holds Java executables or .jar files. In
the list above you will only need the first two entries, the other
entries are extra Java packages I've downloaded.

I know how to do this from having set the Java SDK up on Windows - it
follows the same procedure, but you are right the documentation / set-up
info. is almost non existent.

Also don't remember having a problem with the libs but try creating a
symlink:

su
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

hope this helps,

Paul

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org