Building net tools

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Thu Mar 28 11:54:49 PST 2002

[28.03.02 09:14 -0600] Jeff <-- :
> From: "Marc Heerdink" <marc at koelkast.net>
> > > Does your system support GNU gettext? (I18N) [n]
> > >
> > > My question is should i be getting this and if so what do I answer?
> >
> > This is normal, many questions will follow. Answer y to this one and
> > accept the defaults for everything else, that should work in most cases.
>
> I have said 'no' to gettext. Am I to expect problems? (Note: English is my
> only language and so far everything has compiled and run fine including X4.2,
> Xcfe, Lynx, Links, mpg123, samba 2.2.3. I'm even thinking about removing
> gettext altogether.

If you never used something like --enable-nls, you do not need it.
Some package automatically enable nls if they find nls headers, but
that's not dramatic (just a few bits more program).

Do not set LANG and LANGUAGE to any value and you are ok.

Check then /usr/share/locale directory, if anything is in there,
check the contents of the subdirectory (it should be some_files.mo).
If they are, you can delete all subdirectories too, these are the
compiled translation files for several languages -- but be sure you
are in /usr/share and not /usr/lib.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org