GCC 3 success story

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 28 20:46:00 PST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 08:25:25PM +0000, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Either we must go for a one partition choice; or find a way to force
> the libraries into /lib

The easiest way is by adding --slibdir=/lib to ./configure which will put
libgcc* in, suprise, the /lib directory. This is documented in the
INSTALL/configure.html file:

                --with-slibdir=dirname
                        Specify the installation directory for the shared
                        libgcc library. The default is libdir.

Oh, my notes on the gcc-3.0.4:

I too have a brand new LFS-CVS system with only gcc-3.0.4 installed on it.
Thus far I have not had any problem whatsoever, except the already known
one like ncurses needing to be patched up. qt-3.x and kde-3.x worked all
fine (I've only tested kdelibs and kdebase but both worked just fine).

I had the odd problem here and there with some older software like db-1.x
and db-2.x (they're not expected to work really, they're years and years
old an no longer maintained). But a google search came up with fixes. I
recall having a compile error in a graphic library package, but a google
search also came up with a working answer.

So, nothing major. KDE-2.x/qt-2.x may fail, but then again that's not a
concern. The next qt and kde version work fine, so why try to get old
software working for which replacements are out very soon.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org