Need help understanding locales

Marc S. Jensen mjensen at metronet.com
Thu Mar 28 18:47:01 PST 2002

Hi!  I'm in the process of building my LFS system, and so far have not
had any insurmountable problems.  But I'm greatly confused by i18n and
locales in general -- that is, I don't really understand what the
different files are used for, and how it all fits together.  When I
build glibc, I did "localedef" to build the only two locales I'm
interested in, da_DK and en_US.  But looking at the files that were
created in /usr/lib/locale, I don't see anything that was not already in
/usr/share/i18n/locales -- what's the point of doing localedef?

Can someone explain (or point to an explanation) how the files in
/usr/share/i18n/locales, /usr/share/locale, and /usr/lib/locale all fit?

Thanks in advance!

Marc S. Jensen
Austin, TX

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org