Minimal Requirements of Distribution

Richard Rogers rprogers at seanet.com
Thu Mar 28 10:38:22 PST 2002

malstram at bellsouth.net wrote:

> Problem is while slackware is clean as far as directories it uses, etc, it doesnt give much managability over packages installed.   It actually considers many packages that I don't even have on my lfs as "REQUIRED".  How can it be "REQUIRED" by linux if my linux lfs system doesn't need it? heheheh...  Anyways, RH7.2 does allow a lot of package selection but they create a lot of "their own" directories n stuff and wading through the muck of the install is a pain in the ass.

ROCK Linux http://www.rocklinux.org might be close to what you want. I've
built LFS successfully on a relatively small ROCK 1.4.0 install (haven't tried
booting LFS yet though). The only quirk I found was that some of the LFS
packages that needed curses had to be linked with libtinfo too. I have the
GNUmakefiles I used to automate LFS chapters 5 and 6 if you want 'em.
>From the ROCK homepage:

ROCK Linux is a modern Linux Distribution with a powerful auto-build process,
mostly designed for skilled Linux/Unix administrators and available for multiple
platforms. ROCK Linux is a small distribution, but it's not a "mini distribution". It
comes with over 500 packages including X11 and the GNOME Desktop - but
excluding menu driven configuration tools (most professional users prefer
configuration files), but a reasonably well configured installation of Rock Linux
should be useful for any computer user (even beginners). ROCK Linux is free under
the tems of the GPL.

Because of it's configureable and adoptable auto-build process ROCK Linux is not
only a Linux Distribution, but also a Distribution Development Kit. Most ROCK Linux
Users are running their own adopted version of ROCK Linux. Even special purpose
distributions like single-floppy routers or embedded distributions are possible.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org