GCC 3 success story

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 12:25:30 PST 2002

Bill Williamson wrote:

> Someone had asked for gcc3 success/failure stories.
>
> I have ONLY gcc 3 on my lfs.
> 3.0.4.
>
> The problems I encountered (that I remember off the top of my head):
> -ncurses.  Found the latest weekly build, it worked
> -yacc.  Installed newest bison, and all was good (I could have those two
> backwards...)

Thanks for that info.  I patched ncurses.  I downloaded a package called byacc; to use as YACC=yacc; but your solution is better.

> Everything else (glibc 2.2.5 included) was a-ok, and I've got it running
> with openssh, apache, courier mail server, etc...  No problems so far :)

Standard LFS 3.2 build plus gawk. In chapter 6 I needed to build m4 and autoconf before gcc rebuild.

I have got X, libmng, libpng, jpeg, pcre, lesstiff, imlib, Eterm and emacs so far.  Supprised that the kernel built.  ungif failed.

Will be going for bind, qmail, and lynx.   If that works I will be using it for real.

One important thing.  I used separate / and /usr partition so libgcc.so ended up in /usr/lib.  /sbin/fsck depends in libgcc.so; and /usr is not mounted when it is needed.  Is there any magic flag to get gcc to put its libraries into /lib?

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org