just to check before i go on

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 27 04:54:59 PST 2002

Yo,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 06:49:11PM +1100, nich wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but
> I have just finished chapter 5 ecluding mounting proc, and
> according to the book i should delete all old sources from
> that static linked binary installs, does this include the /usr/src/linux
> directory, from where the kernel was installed or not,

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter02/install.html

Please re-read the 'How to install the software' in Chapter 2;

"After a package has been installed, two things can be done with it:
either the directory that contains the sources can be deleted, or it can
be kept. We highly recommend deleting it. If you don't do this and try
to re-use the same source later on in the book (for example re-using the
source trees from chapter 5 for use in chapter 6), it may not work as
you expect it to. Source trees from chapter 5 will have your host
distribution's settings, which don't always apply to the LFS system
after you enter the chroot'ed environment. Even running something like
make clean doesn't always guarantee a clean source tree.

So, save yourself a lot of hassle and just remove the source directory
immediately after you have installed it.

There is one exception; the kernel source tree. Keep it around as you
will need it later in this book when building a kernel. Nothing will use
the kernel tree so the source tree won't be in your way."

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org