eth0

Lord Xarph forums at xarph.net
Tue Mar 26 21:11:55 PST 2002

on 3/24/02 1:26 PM, Jonathan Dahl at jonhdahl at hotmail.com wrote:
> An ifconfig doesn't list anything for eth0, and on boot, I get this message:
>
> ---
> Bringing up the eth0 interface...
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> Setting up default gateway...
> SIOCADDRT: No such device
> ---
>
> Then it says, "You should not be reading this error message. It means that an
> unforseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S230network, which exited with a
> return value of 7"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I had this error too.
Check to see if you have the driver for your ethernet board compiled into
the kernel, or as a module.
Some NICs, esp. 3Com ones, hate life as a module, but work swimmingly
compiled into the kernel statically.

I compiled the boomerang/vortex driver into the kernel where it had
previously been a module, and it worked.

-Lx?

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org