Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2

Don Smith midio at att.net
Tue Mar 26 15:25:23 PST 2002

"Jeroen Coumans" <jeroencoumans at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:200203262325.01241.jeroencoumans at gmx.net...
> On Tuesday 26 March 2002 23:10, IvanK. wrote:
> > I looked through the 3.2 book, but couldn't really find any info on
> > upgrading an existing 3.1 installation to 3.2.  I guess I'll have to
> > build a new system from scratch and copy over my /etc?
>
> That's a little overkill for just upgrading. Just check the changelog
> and install packages which have been updated.

There is a major change to the boot procedures, but just dropping in the
new procedure *should* work. I haven't tried that yet, but I will in a
few days. I would back up the original /etc files with tar, put in the
new bootscripts and give it a whirl. If it doesn't work, boot using bash
as your init and restore from the tar file.

Don

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org