Build Times

Don Smith midio at att.net
Tue Mar 26 15:16:14 PST 2002

"Jeff Harris" <jharris at tahonga.linux-dude.net> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0203261322510.1493-100000 at Bruce.tahonga.linux-dude.ne
t...
> Which systems were the Estimated build times extracted from? I'm
getting
> from 7 to 10 times as long as the estimated quote. When I get to GCC I
> think I'll have to let it compile over the weekend!

My 486/66 with 48MB system only took overnight (maybe 12 hours?). glibc
compiled overnight too. I believe the kernel is pretty close to that
also.

> Maybe this is something that should go to the book list, but perhaps a
> low-end estimated time and a high-end estimated time should be noted.
>
> Jeff

You probably can't really do that since there is such a wide range of
possible values. I thought I saw a reference system mentioned somewhere
but I can't find it in the book. How the estimated times are obtained
should be in the book, IMHO.

Don

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org