ReiserFS

Fabio Fracassi turiya at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 26 04:14:44 PST 2002

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 12:11, you wrote:
> Hi Gerard,
>
> My understanding is that mounting with -notail disables a feature
> of reiser that otherwise allows parts of files to be stored in
> unused parts of blocks at the end of other files, and that if the
> kernel image is stored that way, it can confuse LILO.

That is correct.

> So presumably what matters is for -notail to be in effect at the
> time the kernel image is copied to its final destination.

No, that won't necessaryly suffice, since there could be another file that is
stored in the same block with the kernel (at the end) afterwards.

> If you haven't had a problem, well maybe LILO has been changed
> and there's nothing to worry about.

That's very likely, or you use grub, which doesn't depend on low level blocks,
but actually uses the FS

> I just try to rtfm and do what it says.  :-)

:)

That one obviously escaped us, and it doesn't seem harmful.
I will contact the authors and ask them for further details, I'll give you
the results then.

Fabio

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org