why --disable-termcap ?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 22:39:02 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 09:00:23PM -0500, timothy bauscher wrote:
> Before i compile ncurses, i'd like to know what
> termcap does [or doesn't do] that makes the book
> suggest to --disable-termcap.

termcap is an old library that's being phased out. Ncurses is a modern
termcap. It does the same, just newer.

We disable termcap because we don't want to use the obsolete code from
seemingly eons ago (well not quite that long, but it might as well be).

There's some info on this in the ncurses documentation somewhere (I'm not
sure where, start with the README and INSTALL files).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org