gcc compilation failure, than success

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 20:31:42 PST 2002

Yo,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 11:28:36PM -0500, timothy bauscher wrote:
> In order to compile gcc in chapter 6 (without errors), i had
> to rm -rf gcc-build gcc-2.95.3, and bunzip and untar gcc
> again. The script worked perfectly then where as before
> it was giving me bootstrap errors.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/chapter02/install.html

SCroll down to the last few paragraphs;

"After a package has been installed, two things can be done with it:
either the directory that contains the sources can be deleted, or it can
be kept. We highly recommend deleting it. If you don't do this and try
to re-use the same source later on in the book (for example re-using the
source trees from chapter 5 for use in chapter 6), it may not work as
you expect it to. Source trees from chapter 5 will have your host
distribution's settings, which don't always apply to the LFS system
after you enter the chroot'ed environment. Even running something like
make clean doesn't always guarantee a clean source tree.

So, save yourself a lot of hassle and just remove the source directory
immediately after you have installed it.

There is one exception; the kernel source tree. Keep it around as you
will need it later in this book when building a kernel. Nothing will use
the kernel tree so the source tree won't be in your way."

Not the books fault =)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org