kernel configuration

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 16:31:51 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 12:16:26AM +0000, Daniel Cassidy wrote:
> whew... well i got as far with the lfs guide as configuring the kernel, and
> now im wondering what i should compile into it, what i should leave as
> modules, and what i should miss out altogether. well i think i could compile
> something sensible for my system out of guesswork, but i was rather wondering
> how the major distributions cope with the multitude of options (bit off topic
> i know). what would be a sort of 'middle ground' kernel configuration that
> would allow most people to have a usable system without too much (or any)
> recompiling?

Distro's do it usually like this:

compile only the essentials in the kernel such as the IDE or SCSI driver
and the file system for the root filesystem plus some basic network stuff
that cannot be modularized. The rest is all modules that are loaded
on-demand by the kernel automatic module loading feature.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org