BASH-2.05a Untar Errors

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 16:30:52 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:05:24PM -0800, jharris at tahonga.linux-dude.net wrote:
> I'm using book 3.2 for my lfs experience. I downloaded the big
> lfs-packages-3.2.tar for my sources. I've untarred as the lfs user, in the
> $LFS/usr/src directory.
>
> I cd to the created lfs-packages-3.2 to unb2z/tar the Bash package (bzcat
> bash-2.05.tar.b2z | tar xv) and encountered the following errors. Are these
> expected?
>
> BTW, I get the same "cannot change owner..." error while untarring
> lfs-packages-3.2.tar.

This happens when you run tar with the --same-owner option and are not
root. It will try to chown/chgrp to the original owner when the tarball was
created.

It shows you only ran 'tar xv' but perhaps tar itself is a script or an
alias to "tar --same-owner $@" ?

Try running it like this to force the real tar to be used:

/bin/tar xvfj file.tar.bz2

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org