'I have no name' after glibc installation

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 09:39:11 PST 2002

Seth, possible FAQ item.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 09:57:49AM +0100, Mensch, Manfred wrote:
> I am building LFS3.2 with Matthias Benkmann's hint 'Keep .. separate'.
> glibc built and installed without problems, but even after starting a new
> bash
> it tells me 'I have no name' and whoami is unable to resolve a userid to a
> username. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I could compile
> other packages with this glibc, so it seems to be working.

If you installed Glibc and you still get the "I have on name!" message in
your prompt, check for the following two items. One of the two is in 99% of
the cases the cause of the error.

First of all, make sure the /etc/passwd file is intact. A missing colon
somewhere will cause Glibc to skip that entry as it's corrupted. The root
entry should look like this:

	root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Secondly, make sure that all the /lib/libnss* files are world readable at the very
least. If not run a command like chmod a+r /lib/libnss* which will add the 'read'
permission for all users (aka 'world readable').

Restart bash (like running exec /bin/bash --login) and it should work now.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org