Which packages are critical?

Benjamin McGough male_it_nerd at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 09:38:48 PST 2002

So check this out (from slashdot.org a few weeks ago):

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm

It talked about running a firewall using kernel-based IP masquerading
and/or filtering/routing in a _halted_ state.

Very cool, but with caveats.  Here's how I see it:

Pros: no software at all (just a kernel), 'perfect security;' no
processes, no users, no mounted disks, etc... .

Cons(this is a big one): no logging.  That's the main pain.  Without
klogd or syslogd, you don't get logging, and a firewall/router that
doesn't log is not such a great thing from a security standpoint.
Also, I don't believe it would respond to dynamic routing changes, so
it makes a firewall, really, not a router.

But to answer your question - you can remove all the software!  Well,
you'll need to boot...and shutdown...so init scripts and sysvinit
package... .

-Ben