booting new system

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 09:33:17 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 07:39:57AM +0100, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> On Monday 25 March 2002 04:05, Bill Williamson wrote:
> > Is there a problem with my lilo.conf, or something else?
> > Thanks!
>
> The simplest solution would be to create a bootdisk with lilo/grub (see
> the hints and the blfs-book). You'd only have to change /etc/fstab to
> the correct lines. Swap disks, reboot with the bootdisk, adjust
> lilo.conf to point to the correct location and rerun lilo.

If that doesn't work, ditch Lilo, get Grub read the grub hint.

Grub is not as strict as lilo is when it comes to disk geometry chagnes. It
has built-in filesystem support for ext2 and reiserfs and a few others.
This means when you put a new kernel in /boot you don't have to re-run grub
each time or when you chagne the config file (/boot/grub/menu.lst which is
grub's version of a lilo.conf) yo don't have to do it either. Grub will dig
into the file system and grab the files directly. All you need to tell Grub
is which harddrive to use and which partition /boot sits on.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org