eth0

elko elko at home.nl
Mon Mar 25 09:03:05 PST 2002

On Sunday 24 March 2002 22:26, Jonathan Dahl wrote:
> Well, I've made it through an install of Linux From Scratch (mostly 3.2,
> but with the 2.4.18 kernel), and when I boot to my LFS partition, it
> doesn't detect my ethernet card(s). At first I figured that I didn't
> include support for my card in the kernel, so I recompiled and included
> just about every ethernet driver as a module. But this didn't work either.
>
> An ifconfig doesn't list anything for eth0, and on boot, I get this
> message:
>
> ---
> Bringing up the eth0 interface...
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> Setting up default gateway...
> SIOCADDRT: No such device
> ---

You have to tell the kernel which IRQ and IO-base your nic
is configured for.

If you load the nic-driver as a module, you must configure
/etc/modules.conf, but since you said you compiled the driver
into the kernel, you have to put a line like:
<QUOTE>
	append = "ether=IRQ,IOBASE,0,0,eth1"
</QUOTE>
somewhere in your lilo.conf.

Read more about it here:
	http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-9.html

hth,
--
ElkOS: 5:50pm up 27 days, 19:13, 3 users, load average: 2.15, 2.23, 2.17
bofhX: The data on your hard drive is out of balance.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org