i have no name at non-root users

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 08:52:08 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 09:54:06PM +0100, Marc Heerdink wrote:
> > could someone tell me whats wrong when all non-root users get the "i have no name" message?
> > the root user works fine.
>
> Is /etc/passwd world readable?

If it is, check the /lib/libnss* files

If they are not world readable, then processes started by non-root users
will not be able to load the /lib/libnss_files.so file for example which
contains the code telling Glibc where the password database file is located
(usually /etc/passwd but programs never directly look for the file).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org