Adding new users

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 25 08:32:47 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 09:25:49PM -0500, ira mendell wrote:
> GROUP=100
> HOME=/home
> INACTIVE=-1
> EXPIRE=
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> SKEL=/etc/skel
>
> as a side note when I looked at the new home directory created,  through
> KDE in Redhat,  it showed the directory and files as GROUP="users"
> and OWNER="1000"
>
> I think I'm close would adding a default such as USERS=100 to
> etc/defaults work.

See my other email I wrote (I didn't see this one else I'd have replied to
this one instead).

The /etc/login.defs defines the MIN and MAX userid's used. As you may know,
you cannot use the same userid for two people. It's fine to use the same
groupid for more than one person, but userid's have to be unique. If you
want userid's to start at 100 edit the UID_MIN variable in the
/etc/login.defs file.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org