eth0

Jonathan Dahl jonhdahl at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 24 13:26:58 PST 2002

Well, I've made it through an install of Linux From Scratch (mostly 3.2, but with the 2.4.18 kernel), and when I boot to my LFS partition, it doesn't detect my ethernet card(s). At first I figured that I didn't include support for my card in the kernel, so I recompiled and included just about every ethernet driver as a module. But this didn't work either.

An ifconfig doesn't list anything for eth0, and on boot, I get this message:

---
Bringing up the eth0 interface...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth0: unknown interface: No such device
Setting up default gateway...
SIOCADDRT: No such device
---

Then it says, "You should not be reading this error message. It means that an unforseen error took place in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S230network, which exited with a return value of 7"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
jonathan