How to get network set up correctly?

Don Smith midio at att.net
Sun Mar 24 08:00:11 PST 2002

"Steve Purdy" <spurdy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:20020324053112.77670.qmail at web13509.mail.yahoo.com...
> I've got LFS 3.2 up and running, but I can't connect to the internet
> through the network.
>
> My LFS box connects to a Windows 98 box which does internet
> connection sharing.  I can ping the Windows box fine, but I can't
> ping anything externally.
>
> /etc/hosts looks like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.0.2 localhost.localdomain localhost

Is this really what your hosts file says or have you modified it for
posting? It really should look like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.2 myhost.mydomain myhost

127.0.0.1 is the default loopback device which is used for intrasystem
TCP/IP. I believe localhost is just a convention but some things may
depend on that name. You definitely do *not* want these two addresses to
have the same name.

> /etc/sysconfig/network looks like this:
>
> HOSTNAME=localhost

put "myhost" (i.e. the real name of your system) here

> GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
> GATEWAY_IF=eth0
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 looks like this:
>
> ONBOOT=yes
> IP=192.168.0.2
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
>
> Everything seems to come up fine during boot.  Do I have something
> setup wrong in one of these files, or am I missing something else?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Others have responded with resolv.conf suggestion etc.

Don

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org