LFS won't boot

Frank Schmalz linux at heldengift.de
Sun Mar 24 05:51:55 PST 2002

Hi,

you could try to create a bootdisk wit another kernel image e.g from a
distro which you have on an accessible machine. Boot this system and go to
/boot.
There should be the kernel image hanging around. E.g. vmlinuz.
-put in a clean formatted Floppy Disk (all data on this disk will be lost)
-create the bootdisk: e.g. do a "dd if=vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0"
-change the root partition of the bootdisk to your target system
   e.g.: do a rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda1 (if hda1 is the lfs root partition)
-try it (rebooting the lfs machine with this disc)

hope this helps.

CU,
      Frank

PS: if you don't have a suitable kernel image you can create one on the
other box, too. Just follow the steps described in the lfs-book
package:linux section.
Just don't copy bzImage to /boot but dd it to /dev/fd0 and rdev it.