How to get network set up correctly?

Frank Schmalz linux at heldengift.de
Sun Mar 24 03:16:36 PST 2002

Hi,

all the previous replies to your question suggested setting up DNS correctly.
However if I did understand you right, this is not your problem.

You did try to ping an external host (internet host) by ip not by name, right?
So you can ping your windows (ehem) 'router' by ip address but not
something beyond it?

This is most probably a problem of your router setup.
Unfortunatly i don't know anything about win98 internet connection sharing.
The router has to do proper routing and some kind of address translation
(masquerading). Are you sure this is set up correctly?
If not, the pings don't come back since the hosts you ping don't know where
they have to direct 192.168.0.2 to. (Or to be correct, they are advised to
drop such packages since this is a local network address)

Hope this helps.

CU,
      Frank