invalid variable name bindir

timothy bauscher dev at foce.eiomail.com
Sun Mar 24 00:01:40 PST 2002

I have been following the lfs book from CVS (version
20020321) step by step. When i tried to configure
bash using the instructions in Chapter 5
(Preparing the LFS system) on the Installing Bash-2.05a
page, i came across this error:

configure: error: invalid variable name: --bindir

My $LFS variable echos as it should:
/mnt/lfs

And the $LC_ALL variable echos as it should:
POSIX

I have the ncurses-dev package installed and the
/usr/lib/libcurses.a and /usr/lib/libncurses.a
exist, but are not linked.

I read the INSTALL file for bash. It mentions nothing
about a --bindir argument. The bash-2.05a i am
installing was downloaded from:

http://ftp.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-packages/cvs/

Of course, there's no config.log file, because the
configuration didn't really start.

I'm using Debian Woody as my host distro. BTW, thanks
for making such a great project! It really brings the
fun back to GNU/Linux. And, another questions, are all
of the LFS downloads distributed under 100% free
GPL-compliant licenses?

(==timothy==)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org