Adding new users

ira mendell ibm at bestweb.net
Sat Mar 23 18:00:33 PST 2002

Speed wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, ira mendell wrote:
> >     I've created etc/skel with apropriate files.
> > I want to add a user, add its password and add its new group.  Am I on
> > the right track with the following command:

> I have a tweaked version of the Slackware-8.0 'adduser' script on the old
> web site. The modified script creates a group of the same name as the new
> user, as is done in Debian. Also, rather than creating uid's on a 'next
> available' basis if not specified, I prefer one to be input.
>
> Apart from these two hacks, the script is the same.
>
> They are available from here if you need them:
>
>  http://www.highspeed.flyer.co.uk/pub/linux/misc/adduser
>  http://www.highspeed.flyer.co.uk/pub/linux/misc/adduser-slackware-8.0
>
> Regards.
>
> Speed...
>
> --

I've been trying to use that script.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I copied it to usr/sbin which is in the correct path then I type
'adduser  <name>'  I get a message ":bad interpreter:no such file or
directory"
it was saved under the name 'adduser'

I've had similar results with some other adduser scripts I've found on the
web.  I did find on one of them if I deleted the '!' from the first line it
became a text file then it ran but their appeared to be an error in the file
so it stopped.

I thought a script file would execute if its in the proper path or if I put
'./' before it.

              Ira

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org