submount question

jonathan jonathan at hirschman.net
Sat Mar 23 17:40:04 PST 2002

That's how I did my system. I was building a system on a compact flash
card, but also need to use a hard drive as well. Soo...

The compact flash card (on an IDE controller, with adapter), was /dev/hdc
The hard drive for the target system was /dev/hdd. This drive was
partitioned three ways - hdd1, hdd2, hdd3

I mounted the compact flash card on /mnt/lfs,

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc /mnt/lfs

I then created the directory structure, including /mnt/lfs /usr,
/mnt/lfs/home and /mnt/lfs/var (which will become your chroot'd /usr,
/home and /var). I didn't make any subdirectories in those.

Then...

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdd1 /mnt/lfs/usr
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdd2 /mnt/lfs/home
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdd3 /mnt/lfs/var