Problem when installing glibc-2.2.5

Tofu tofu at noos.fr
Sat Mar 23 06:07:24 PST 2002

Hi everybody,

I'm installing lfs-package-3.2 for the first time, by applying the Book
strictly.

All steps looked OK untill the installation of Glibc-2.2.5. The
following error occured during its "configure" phase, stopping it :

checking for assembler global-symbol directive... UNKNOWN
configure: error: cannot determine asm global directive

which is written by line 2590 of configure, containing an "exit".

To understand the cause, I modified line 2580 so that it writes its
compilation messages, and got the following :

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory

three times, for the three values .globl, .global and .EXPORT of the loop.

I also tried to skip the problem by suppressing the "exit" in line 2590
: Then the "configure" script came to the end and the "make" phase was
entered, but  the following error occured and stopped it :

make[2]: *** [/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/glibc-build/csu/init-first.o]
Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/glibc-2.2.5/csu'
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/glibc-2.2.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can somebody help me ? I don't know what else to try ...

Many thanks in advance.

Tofu

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org