autoloading modules at boot

vs018 volker.schwarz at stud.uni-rostock.de
Fri Mar 22 06:03:09 PST 2002

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Curtis Haas
  To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
  Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 3:58 AM
  Subject: Re: autoloading modules at boot

  opps, just read that in the FAQ, my bad
  sorry
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Curtis Haas
    To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
    Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 9:55 PM
    Subject: autoloading modules at boot

    How can you get kernel modules to load automatically at boot.
    I was able to get my NIC to load when I first got LFS working a few weeks back by putting
    alias eth0 3c59x in the /etc/modules.conf, but now I want to get some of my other modules to load.
    Specifically:
    sb (soundblaster)
    awe_wave (soundblaster awe wave effects)

    I looked in my host distro's /etc/modules.conf and see:
    alias sound-slot-0 sb
    alias synth0 awe_wave

    But when I add these to the LFS system's /etc/modules.conf, they don't load after I reboot.
    I know the modules work when I 'modprobe' them, just can't get them to load at boot time.
    Are the sound-slot-0 and synth0 devices (/dev/xxx) or variables?
    I am thinking the system just doesn't know what sound-slot-0 and synth0 are...

    And why is it that when I save the modules.conf file, during boot up I get a message saying something like:
    insmod: something something /etc/modules.conf is newer than /lib/modules/2.4.17/modules.dep

    appreciate the help

    Hello,

    I don't know how this should be go automatically, but I wrote me a script that loads the modules needed manually at bootup. It will work fine.

    To the message, you forgot to run: depmod -a. Because if you change the modules.conf, the configuration for modprobe, so it must be checked for dependencies of the modules new.

    Bye