Removing Source Tree in Ch 5 [Was Re: problem installing Installing Texinfo-4.0]

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Thu Mar 21 14:54:41 PST 2002

On Thursday 21 March 2002 00:00, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> them to remove the tree after installing. We need a solution for
> people who _don't_ follow advice in the book.

That's exactly the problem. There's no explicit path for a reader to
follow when he wants help. Ideally, we want newbies to follow this
path:
website -> lfs-book -> hints -> FAQ -> mailinglists.
What happens is what we don't want - people jump to the mailinglists at
the first sign of trouble, instead of trying to find out for
themselves. We should make the above path more obvious. Sending the FAQ
when you subscribe is one way. After giving it some thought, it's
actually more of a patch than a structural fix (I'm not dropping my
vote for it though - I still think this is a good idea).
A more structural approach would be to make the links on the website at
least more pronounced and make sure the pages are connected according
to the above path: hierarchically organised instead of tree-like. Same
thing for the book.
Also, I suggest a namechange for lfs-support (or *another* mailinglist):
lfs-newbie. In this list, the FAQ could be e-mailed bi-weekly. It would
also make a clear distinction between the two types of users generally
found on the lists.
Hope I'm making any sense here (it's all clear in my head at least).

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org