Removing Source Tree in Ch 5 [Was Re: problem installing Installing Texinfo-4.0]

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Wed Mar 20 15:03:54 PST 2002

[20.03.02 13:02 -0500] Gerard Beekmans <-- :
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 12:12:29PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > I'd like to renew my suggestion to mail every new subscriber the FAQ on
>
> Didn't I reply to it when you first suggested it? I thought I had...anyways
> what I wanted to say at any rate is "good idea I'll get on it".

Did not see that posting of Matthias, otherwise would have supported.

> 1) send a plain txt file.
> 2) send a bz2'ed txt file
>
> problem with no #1 is that the faq is about 28 KB. I'm sure that not
> everybdoy would appreciate this.

I am one of those who fight against unrequested large attachments and
there are ways to restrict the size of a message being accepted -- just
to keep in mind (as a warning maybe in the book, like if you subscribe
be prepared to receive ... and make sure your account does not reject).

> Then again, even if you're on a modem and get say 3 KB/sec it would take
> less than 10 seconds to download it.

ok, it is at least just once

> Yeah and of course if you subscribe to lfs-support you get way more than 28
> KB a day in messages. So...I'd say just the plain txt that saves having to
> unpack and it might be read right away.

Hihi, do you really believe an already unpacked one will be instantly
read ?? Your system, your optimismn ;)) But it would at least avoid
questions How to bunzip2 with Winblows Lookout -- yeah !!

Just my 5 Euro (prices going up)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org