scsi / lilo question

Jay Kosturko Jay at Kosturko.com
Wed Mar 20 21:46:53 PST 2002

First off, thank you to Gerard and all those who have contributed to the
LFS project.  I am thoroughly enjoying the fruits of your labors!

My new LFS 3.2 system is kernel panicking when I try to boot.  The final
messages of the boot are as follows:

            Request_module [block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
            VFS: cannot open root device "802" or 08:02
            Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:02

My LFS system is installed on a 9gb Seagate ST19101W SCSI drive.  The
SCSI controller is an adaptec AHA-2940. The host system is Red Hat 7.2
on a 100gb Western Digital WD1000BB EIDE controlled by the Tyan Tiger MP
mobo's onboard controller.  The scsi drive is partitioned as follows;

            /dev/sda1          32mb                ext2      /boot
            /dev/sda2          remainder         ext2      /
            /dev/sda3          1024mb            swap

I've read through the lilo man page and the lilo mini-howto on linuxdoc.
The mini-howto recommended putting the disk.boot lines at the top to tip
the bios off to use the scsi as the first drive.  I've tried various
places to put the "root=" line, including under the image= header, and
booting with "linux-2.4.18-1 root=/dev/sda2" Here is my lilo.conf file.
<snip>
boot=/dev/sda
root=/dev/sda2
            disk=/dev/sda
            bios=0x80
            disk=/dev/hda
            bios=0x81

message=/boot/boot-menu.b
prompt
timeout=50
vga=773

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-1
            label=linux-2.4.18-1
            read-only

other=/dev/hda2
            label=win2kpro
</snip>
            Thank you in advance for help and suggestions

            -Jay Kosturko
            Jay at kosturko.com