Removing Source Tree in Ch 5 [Was Re: problem installing Installing Texinfo-4.0]

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Wed Mar 20 16:26:48 PST 2002

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 12:12:29PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > I'd like to renew my suggestion to mail every new subscriber the FAQ on
>
> <snip>

Compressed is not an option. For most, it is simpler to view an URL
than to save, uncompress, and view an attachment.

The FAQ is actually more like 34 KB and growing. My experience when
posting it a few weeks ago was that this doesn't seem to pose any
practical problem, but numerous people object anyway.

Since i have not given up on posting the FAQ to the lists, it is
now possible to split it into smaller chunks tailored to each of
the lists. See the file LFS/FAQ/split.awk in CVS. This does not
solve the problem for lfs-support, however, because the welcome
message would have to combine its two chunks for a total of 22 KB.

It's also true that much of the FAQ is not memorable to anyone who
hasn't read the book. Answers are uninteresting if you don't know
why you would ask the question.

Mostly, however, i think sending the FAQ in the list welcome message
is a waste because find myself thinking of welcome messages as
containing no information i need to read. I save them for unsubscribe
instructions which i'm not interested in until later. I think if
someone like me thinks he doesn't need to read the welcome message,
many people won't read it at all.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
             Life on the edge? You're taking too much space
       if you're not living hanging from your safty harness rope.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org