lilo installation

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 19 20:38:25 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:06:19PM +0100, Benjamin Schindler wrote:
> FATAL: First boot sector is 21.7 Expecting version 22.1 (weird.... i
> never used Linux on this harddisk. Why does it know of the presence of
> lilo 22.1....)

Your /sbin/lilo version is 22.1, but the /boot/boot.b file is from lilo
21.7. When you sync'ed the /boot directory from your distribution and LFS
you copied not just the kernel images but also the lilo version specific
files.

You have to re-install lilo-22.1 on LFS, that will put a new /boot/boot.b
in place with the correct data in it. Re-run lilo then.

> image = /boot/lfskernel
>        label = lfs
>        root = /dev/hda5
>        read-only    (is this really needed. I don't understand why it
> is beeing used...)

You want to make sure that the partition is mounted in read-only mode. This
will prevent accidental data loss when something goes wrong when the
partition is mounted. It's mounted in read-write mode after the checkfs
script has done it's work.

> -The lfs partition is /dev/hdb5, not hdb1... no problem?

Nope, not at all. It can be anywhere you want, just tell the kernel where
the root partition is (by adding the root=/dev/xxx line to lilo.conf)

> -The Computer this HD (3Gb) is going to run on will have 64mb ram. How
> large should the swap partition be? (A silly question, but the documents
> i looked at were either not very helpful or quite outdated...)

It greaty depends on how you use your system. 128 MB swap may be a good
idea if you plan to use XFree86 and some big apps (say Mozilla). If you
plan to do heavy stuff you want more swap. I have 320 MB RAM in my machine
and when I get "really busy" my swap usage goes up to 300 MB easily. But
when I'm not compiling a test LFS system and running all kinds of stuff,
there is 0 usage.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org