Removing Source Tree in Ch 5 [Was Re: problem installing Installing Texinfo-4.0]

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 19 20:21:45 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 02:27:35PM -0500, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> But, i was actually talking about removing the source tree every
> single time, not just in chapter 5. At the risk of repeating myself,
> i think this is good. Even if the commands weren't connected with &&,
> there are _very_ few situations - especially when cut and pasting -
> where `make install' should be rerun after a failure without also
> rebuilding the tree.

My biggest objection is that the instruction in the book are just a
guidelines, not the gospel truth. If you run make install and the book ends
there, it doesn't mean that you're done with that package. There's often a
lot of things in the source tree you can work with, example configuration
files, documentation that's not installed in say /usr/share/doc. You'd just
run the normal installation, then go back and see what else you can do. If
you rm -rf'ed it...

Secondly I see this just as a desperate attempt to cut down on traffic.
Instead of forcefully rm -rf'ing the source tree I rather try rewrite the
book a bit to point out these things more clearly.

But, as always I will give it some thought. I'm not going to make a rash
decision right now.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org