Bash and libncurses

Curtis Haas WonderBoy5150 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 19 12:03:58 PST 2002

Bash and libncursesYou need the libcurses.a and libncurses.a to be installed on the 'host distribution' (Redmond Linux).
Since I don't know Redmond Linux, you have to use what ever software package installer program that comes with it to install the ncurses-devel package.
On my mandrake 8.1 system, that package is called libncurses5-dev. So it "might" be different on yours.
Once that package is installed you will then have 'libncurses.a' installed in /usr/lib.
>From the console, go to that folder and make sure it is there.

While still in that folder (/usr/lib) you then create 'libcurses.a' by creating a link to it like so:
ln -s libncurses.a libcurses.a

When you tries to install bash and got the error "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"
seems to me you were not in the source tree for where you unpacked the bash-2.05a files.

If you can't find how to install libncurses-dev, goto www.rpmfind.net and do a search for it and your distribution.

Hope this helps
I'm trying to get away from Windows myself :-)
Curtis