Webmin

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 18 12:15:08 PST 2002

Yo,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:10:21AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> Yeah I think webmin will do OK for most add-on packages like
> Apache, Postfix, Samba, etc., but as I noted earlier the
> /etc/sysconfig stuff like network interfaces is not directly
> supported.  For example try going into the network interfaces
> and look at the list of "Interfaces activated at boot time".
> You won't see any.

*quickly installs a copy of webmin*

Yup, once it's installed just open up /etc/webmin/config and change;

real_os_type=Redhat Linux
real_os_version=7.2

to,

real_os_type=Linux From Scratch
real_os_version=3.2

Then just update the module configs for whatever modules you use.

I always stay away from the network intefaces, so i don't worry about
that either way.  And i doubt we are going to be compatible with anyone
else anymore... i haven't really looked at the new bootscripts, but
afiak, they aren't exactly like anything else either ;)

> I think I can patch webmin to do more or less the right thing,
> but I'm starting to wonder if anyone will care.  It's a bit
> like building your own swimming pool and then hiring a service
> to maintain it.  :-)

Dunno.  If you actually make a real LFS Webmin config and submit it to
the webmin team and it gets included in the distrobution that wouldn't
be a waste, imho.  Leaving it as 2.2 is kinda a shame really.  For a
while i remenber alot of LFS users were running webmin.  Most of us on
#LFS when bdumm was still sticking around at least...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org