hi

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Mon Mar 18 04:58:04 PST 2002

Op ma 18-03-2002, om 12:21 schreef Sam Halliday:
> hello everybody,
>
> i have been runngin LFS-3.0 since it came out and have upgraded ever since, i
> do have a few questions however that i would like answered if anybody knows:
>
> 1 - i have never been able to get the "uptime" program from sh-utils
> working.. does anyone know how, i was thinking of maybe just writing a script
> to read /proc/uptime and convert this, but having the program there without
> use is such a waste

Not working in what way?

It might have to do with internationalization settings, try running
"LC_ALL=POSIX uptime".

> 2 - my passwords are all 8 characters max, in /etc/login.defs i see i can
> change this to more if libcrypt allows, i compiled glibc 2.2.5 with all the
> standard settings, can my crypt support higher passwords?

Yup. Just set MD5_CRYPT_ENAB to yes in /etc/login.defs, and regenerate
your passwords (by running passwd). If you're running sshd, you'll have
to recompile it to support md5 passwords (--enable-md5 iirc).

> thanks in advance, LFS is fantastic, i now have 3 mates machines running LFS
> and they rate it over any distro!

Good to hear that :)

--
"Mooh!"