Logging

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Sun Mar 17 23:36:04 PST 2002

*  <> [2002-03-18 06:57]:
> Is there any way to make sysklogd direct logs from different programs to
> different files?  I know there are facilities like daemon and such, but what
> if I want all my dhcpd logs to go to a different file than all my named
> logs?

The easiest way is not to send the log to syslog at all. Most demons
have an option to send output to stdout/stderr instead of syslog.
Some of them do this but default (qmail, djbdns, postgresql). AFAIK you
cannot do this with dhcpd.

You may want to look at daemontools (http://cr.yp.to/djb.html). This
contains programs to rotate logs and restart the daemon/logger without
breaking the pipe between them.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org