Network boot scripts

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 17 21:11:18 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 05:47:34AM -0800, lfs-support-bounce at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> Whenever I initialize a network interface with ifconfig a message always
> pops up that says
> eth0: (some success story)
> I want that message to go away because it is making my bootscripts look
> ugly.  Unfortunaly, I can just redirect output to /dev/null because the
> output isn't from ifconfig, it is from a process called eth0.  Is there any
> way to get rid of this message?

It's probably from the kernel telling you that the driver for eth0 was
loaded successfully?

If so, there are a few options.

1) don't make the eth0 driver a module, but compile it directly into the
kernel. That way you only see the message once during bootup before the
bootscripts are started.

2) Pass the -c option to klogd. See the man page for all you can do with
klogd. -c sets teh default log level of console messages. The higher the
value for -c, the less messages you'll see. You need to experiment a bit to
find the level of the eth0 driver messages.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org