problem installing Installing Texinfo-4.0

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Sun Mar 17 14:03:16 PST 2002

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 06:56:33PM +0530, hari_bhr wrote:
> > <snip about error caused by not deleting source trees>
>
> <cut>
>
> it looks like you used the same texinfo directory you used in chapter 5.
> Run "rm -r /usr/src/texinfo-4.1" and unpack it from the tar.bz2 file again.
>
> See chapter 2. Never re-use the same source tree from chapter 5.

OK, i'm getting tired of this question. It is a FAQ. It has been a FAQ
for as long as i remember. It is covered in the Book. It is covered
in the FAQ. And it has been in both places for some time. Our current
approach is not working. May i suggest a new approach. The attached
patch does the following:

this:

Installing Bash-2.05a
./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=$LFS/usr \
   --bindir=$LFS/bin --with-curses &&
make &&
make install &&
cd $LFS/bin &&
ln -sf bash sh

becomes:

Installing Bash-2.05a
./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=$LFS/usr \
   --bindir=$LFS/bin --with-curses &&
make &&
make install &&
cd .. &&                # <-- added this...
rm -rf bash-2.05a &&    # <-- and this.
cd $LFS/bin &&
ln -sf bash sh

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
             Life on the edge? You're taking too much space
       if you're not living hanging from your safty harness rope.