Webmin

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Sun Mar 17 13:08:49 PST 2002

On Sunday 17 March 2002 01:07 pm, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 17. März 2002 18:41 schrieb Rod Roark:
> > Any more details would be helpful.  Do you recall which config files
> > you changed?
> >
> > Webmin does want to know at installation time which distribution is
> > installed... surely it must make a difference somewhere!  :-)
>
> The distribution decision is only needed, that webmin knows, where the
> configfiles are.

Yes of course.  I'm mostly interested in the layout of /etc/sysconfig
and the bootscripts, as these are highly distribution-specific.  For
example my Mandrake 8.0 file that describes eth0 is named
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and contains:

DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="none"
IPADDR="192.168.8.2"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
ONBOOT="yes"

and some other stuff, whereas the corresponding LFS 3.2 file is named
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 and contains:

ONBOOT=yes
IP=192.168.8.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.8.255

As you can see, there are significant differences in directory layout,
file names and file contents.

Let me ask my question in a different way.  Is there some major
distribution that LFS is modeled after, regarding the structure
of /etc/sysconfig and the bootscripts?

Thanks again.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/