Strange groff problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 17 09:53:14 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:48:03AM -0800, lfs-support-bounce at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> And wtf, you were right, all my groff stuff is installed with permisions
> 750, is it supposed to be like that?  That is right after a fresh install.

No 755 is the normal mode.

> Just as an aside, what exactly is /dev/pts?  I can't find any documentation
> explaining what exactly it it.

If you don't use devpts, you need to create the /dev/pty* files which are
used for pseudo-terminals (ie xterm, eterm, remote login like ssh and
telnet). With /dev/pts these file (/dev/pts/1 /dev/pts/2 and so on) are
created automatically when they are needed and removed again when the user
logs out. SO instead of having a hundred files as /dev/pty* you may have 5
files when you have 5 xterms open.

Using the devfs file system that's even better: zero unnecessary files in
/dev, all neede files are created on-the-fly.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org