Strange groff problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 17 08:39:52 PST 2002

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 11:39:42PM -0800, lfs-support-bounce at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> I just recently finished setting up my LFS system, and ran into an
> interesting problem.  groff, it seems, will only run on the root account.
> Whenever I try to run it in a user account, I get a message to the affect of
>
> groff: can't find 'DESC' files
> groff: fatal error: invalid device 'ps'

It's looking for /usr/share/groff/1.17.2/font/devps

You said you customized things, how did you do that? Groff may have
hard-coded the /usr/share/groff/1.17.2/font/devps path so if you move it or
incorrectly specify a new path groff won't pick it up.

And why it only works as root I'm not sure. Perhaps you had things install
in an sbin directory that not in a non-root users $PATH by default.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org