Suggestion re environment variables

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 16 09:14:25 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 09:11:09AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> In the LFS 3.2 instructions for "patch" we see:
>
>   export CPPFLAGS=-D_GNU_SOURCE &&
>   ./configure --prefix=/usr &&
>   unset CPPFLAGS &&
>
> Does anyone see a reason not to do this instead:
>
>   CPPFLAGS=-D_GNU_SOURCE ./configure --prefix=/usr &&

The reason is to be compatible with old systems. This construction doesn't
work properly on old bash'es. I think I had problems with this on a very
old system like Redhat 5.x

There's an item in Bugzilla to re-check these things and see if it's still
needed. I don't think there are may people anymore who use a Glibc-2.0
system with a bash-1.x version.

So, this may just be changed around in a few weeks.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org