How find out dependences for a software?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 16 08:42:53 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 02:24:25AM -0500, LinuxFromScratch wrote:
> Dear Master
>     Do you how to find out dependences for a praticular software?
>     For an example, I want to know the dependences for [Procinfo] but I
> don't want to find out from the lfs-book.  Are there any command for the
> above example?

I use the strace package to collect the dependencies for an installation.
Run something like this:

strace -q -e trace=execve -f -F -o procinfo.logfile procinfo-install-script

put all the installation commands in the procinfo-install-script file and
run that strace command.

The trace=execve option will tell strace to only output commands that were
run the the procinfo-install-script. For instance, it'll include 'make'
because that's what you run. 'make' runs gcc and gcc invokes cpp0 and ld
and as for example. All those will be captured by strace and sent to the
screen.

If you want to extend the depenency list to see which files were read and
written too, you can either remove the trace=execve option (which will give
you _every_ system call made. IT'll be a _huge_ output) or add things to it
like 'file' (trace=execve,file) which will then include all file operations
(open, close, read, write). The strace man page has all the info you need
regarding what you can trace for.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org