Chapter6, fileutils

Geoff thunderlove at qwest.net
Sat Mar 16 01:37:18 PST 2002

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002/03/0170.html

> Here is my output:
> cd . && \
>   CONFIG_HEADERS= CONFIG_LINKS= \
>   CONFIG_FILES=Makefile /bin/sh ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> cd . && /bin/sh
> /usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/missing --run
> autoheader cd . \
>   && CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=config.h \
>      /bin/sh ./config.status
> config.status: creating config.h
> make  all-recursive
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1' Making all in lib
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib' cd .. && \
>   CONFIG_HEADERS= CONFIG_LINKS= \
>   CONFIG_FILES=lib/Makefile /bin/sh ./config.status
> config.status: creating lib/Makefile
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib' make[2]:
> Entering directory
> `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib'
> Makefile:624: *** missing separator.  Stop.

This error ('missing separator') means there is a
formatting problem with the Makefile -- specifically:
the 'spaces' before the actions must NOT be spaces,
but tabs:

test: test.c
        gcc -o test test.c

The above will choke if the spaces before the 'gcc'
are actual spaces, and not a tab.

KDE has an editor, kwrite, ("Advanced Editor"), with
which you can verify if this is, in fact, the problem.
(You can use this program under Gnome, too).

Open up the troublesome Makefile with it, and go to
the Settings menu -> Configure kwrite -> Edit.
Check the box marked "Show Tabs", and make sure the
"Replace tabs with spaces" is cleared.  Then hit Okay.

This will make the tab characters show up as small
dots in their first column.

geoff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org