Chapter6, fileutils

Curtis Haas WonderBoy5150 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 20:32:57 PST 2002

This is a sample of the lines in the fileutils-x.x.x/lib/Makefile that is
produced that bombs
(starting @ line 624):
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/__fpending.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/addext$U.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/alloca.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/argmatch$U.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/atexit.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/backupfile$U.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/basename$U.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/canon-host$U.Po
@AMDEP@@_am_include@ $(DEPDIR)/chown.Po

Now here is sample of the lines in the fileutils-x.x.x/lib/Makefile that
works
(Starting @ line 624):
include $(DEPDIR)/__fpending.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/addext$U.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/alloca.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/argmatch$U.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/atexit.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/backupfile$U.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/basename$U.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/canon-host$U.Po
include $(DEPDIR)/chown.Po

I saved my install dir's for both the good and bad installs.
If anyone would like to take a look at them, drop me an email.

Since both installation attempts create an entirely different Makefile, what
'makes' those files?
(sorry, I don't know the entire process. newbie :-)

And why on the second installation attempt, everything goes smooth and
works?
Does the first installation attempt leave a file lying around somewhere on
the LFS partition that the second installation attempt detects and see's and
then says "ok, found this file, not gonna do xxxxx"

This is what I use, from the book:
./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin \
--libexecdir=/bin &&
make &&
make install

But since I have been having trouble, I've tried changing a few options with
no success.
Next i'm gonna try:

does autoconf or automake have anything to do with this. I am running this
from KDE (ugh...) in a terminal. I read that in chapter6 for those 2 program
I should try downgrading them.

Curtis