Chapter6, fileutils

Curtis Haas WonderBoy5150 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 17:13:34 PST 2002

I am having trouble installing fileutils in Chapter6.
My system is this:
P200MHz MMX, 128 MB RAM, plenty of Swap space...
Host distro Mandrake 8.1, with recommended updates.
System has glibc-2.2.4 installed.

The problem that I am having is kinda similar to this one in the archives:
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002/03/0170.html

Here is my output:
cd . && \
  CONFIG_HEADERS= CONFIG_LINKS= \
  CONFIG_FILES=Makefile /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
cd . && /bin/sh /usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/missing --run autoheader
cd . \
  && CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS=config.h \
     /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating config.h
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1'
Making all in lib
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib'
cd .. && \
  CONFIG_HEADERS= CONFIG_LINKS= \
  CONFIG_FILES=lib/Makefile /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating lib/Makefile
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib'
Makefile:624: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1'
Making all in lib
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib'
Makefile:624: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/chapter6/fileutils-4.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have come up with a resolution but want to know why?
All I do is just delete the source tree for fileutils, re-extract them and using the same commands, it installs fine...
(NOTE: I don't use the same source trees, I delete them when done. And also, the commands are come from a text file. whether it be a plain text copy and paste or a script file I still get the error on the first install attempt)

I have repartitioned/reinstalled a new file system on my LFS drive 15+ times trying to find out why this is.
(basically I have built Linux From Scratch FROM scratch about 15+ times)

Each time I log my changes that I did, but still have yet to find the sollution.
This program that I am having is also related to the question I posted a few days ago in the archives:
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002/03/0465.html

I even tried using the installation methods in Chapter5 for the programs that have 2 options for install:
If you have glibc-2.1.x    do this
If you have glibc-2.2.x    do this
With still no luck.

Even though I am not the type of person who doesn't give up easily at getting to the root of the problem, this time I might have to go behind on my ways. I mean, installing LFS 15+ time on my machine....you know how long that has taken me?
And even if/after I get past this problem I have 4 more after it that do the exact same thing, but with different error outputs that I can show later on (all for have to do with 'm4' files...or so it looks)

I am thinking it could be 1 of the following:
1. Something done in chapter5 is screwing up the outcome with chapter6
2. Host distro's glibc-2.2.4 is screwy

But will wait until what the responses from the Mailing-list say before I try them

Please Help.
Thanks,
Curtis